College...The Five Year Way

My junior year at Michigan State University, filled with stories, rants, and advice about the college experience at a 40,000 student campus. My f1rst year can be read about at http://f1rstyear.blogspot.com.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Things Could Be Worse....I Guess

I'm still getting over the jet lag/stomach flu treat that I got from the India trip. Oh yeah, and one of my wisdom teeth is coming in sideways, or so my dentist told me at an emergency appointment this morning. He offered to take it out immediately, but said there would be "serious trauma" to my upper jaw. So I passed on that, and instead decided to go on some antibiotics and Motrin. I'll wait until I get down to Kentucky to get the teeth taken out, although I don't know when I'll have the time.

I guess I should talk about India a little more before I completely forget the stuff I wanted to talk about. Not so much has changed there in the 11 years since I was there last, at least in my family's town. As soon as we got there, so many memories from 1994 came back, and I immediately remembered everything about the town: the insanely polluted lake near my grandpa's house, the 400 year old church, the narrow, narrow roads (a little wider than the sidewalks here), and that smell. Dear Lord, that smell in the air. I can't quite put my finger on what it smells like, it's just something you have to smell for yourself.


The last time I went, I was 10 years old and my uncle and aunt both got married. Not to each other, obviously. Since then, each of them had two kids, so I always thought it'd be a little weird meeting my cousins for the first time. That couldn't have been further from the truth- all of my cousins were so loving and so welcoming that it was hard to leave. In fact, everyone in my family was incredibly kind and loving and supportive, it was almost hard to believe. I have such a strong support system in my family, and feel incredibly fortunate for that. In the picture on the left, only a fraction of my family. Now that I have a ten year visa, I'll be able to go back in 2 or 3 years and spend more than just a week there. Seven days isn't enough when you have as large a family as I do.

More tomorrow, for now I'm going to go pass out in bed and look forward to the Pistons game tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home