College...The Five Year Way

My junior year at Michigan State University, filled with stories, rants, and advice about the college experience at a 40,000 student campus. My f1rst year can be read about at http://f1rstyear.blogspot.com.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

India Part 2

I figured I'd write more about India while watching the tivo of last night's Rose Bowl. Don't tell me the score, God forbid.

I actually don't remember where I left off, so instead of going in a boring chronological order, I'll mix it up a bit and talk about the day I spent in Mumbai (or Bombay, if you're still living under British rule).

We hired a driver to take my family and 3 uncles (8 people altogether) in a Toyota Qualis. I'll talk about the cars there another time, it's definitely worth a little talk. Anyway, we left from home around 8 in the morning and took almost 2 hours to get to Mumbai. I'm sure I mentioned something about the driving already, but it's literally a million times worse in the city. Never ending honking, the most noxious fumes, and limitless pverty. And the dogs, my God, the dogs. Dogs everywhere. Little dogs, big dogs, thin dogs, fat dogs, hairy dogs....not-so-hairy dogs.

Our first real stop was the Gateway Of India. There so many people there it was almost impossible to get a nice picture. The other side of the landmark borders the Indian Ocean. After taking about 935 family photos at the place, all of which also included some other unknowing Indian or tourist (note to self: it is absolutely impossible to take a picture of only the people you want).

After the gate, I actually don't remember where we went, so I'll just make up the stops. We also checked out a really poor excuse for an aquarium, whose most prominent display was a whale skeleton. They also had an exhibit on goldfish and catfish, both of which are incredibly common to India, and well, the world. And then there was the market, just a giant place that I guess Detroiters could compare to Eastern Market. But this place smelled worse, on account of the dog crap and abundance of poverty. I must give credit, there was every kind of fruit I could have ever dreamt of. And dirt cheap too. There wasn't just only fruit and vegetables, there was a pet store near the end of the market, but not the friendly neighborhood pet store we all know here, this pet store had 40 parakeets stuffed into a small cage, a few puppies in another, fish in dirty aquariums, mice/rats in containers just large enough for their bodies. And the fact that people were walking around barefoot was just a little detracting. There was still the matter of that dead rat on the ground, which I'm pretty sure I stepped on no less than 13 times.

Well, now that I sat through a whole quarter just to watch Vince Young beat USC, I'm done typing for now. More later. Leaving for Kentucky on Saturday. Wisdom tooth still hurts. Still jet lagged. Still a little sick. Just makes sense that all this happens near and on my birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home