College...The Five Year Way

My junior year at Michigan State University, filled with stories, rants, and advice about the college experience at a 40,000 student campus. My f1rst year can be read about at http://f1rstyear.blogspot.com.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Good Night

Good night.

Yes, I'm aware that it's not even 7pm yet. And yes, I'm even aware that it's 80 degrees and sunny out.

I have to be in at work tomorrow at 3:30. In the morning. We're running welding trials for the new Camry Hybrid, and since we can't interfere during normal production hours, we chose the 4am-6am timeslot. Doesn't seem unusual at all, not one bit.

You might be saying, "Hey, Justin, quit complaining, you'll get out of work at lunch!" And I'll say, "Lunch? Ha! What about my 4pm meeting? It's sure as hell not going to run itself!" Odds are I'll probably hit you in the shoulder or flick you in the ear. Really hard.

I'm heading for a 60+ hour work week, which really doesn't bother me. I've got nothing much better to be doing anyway.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a true story for you:

Last week I drove my supervisor to pick up his car from the shop (an hour away). You see, his belief is that as a car ages, it can go longer without an oil change. So, being the strict believer he is, he drove well over 20,000 miles (possibly 30,000, he didn't remember) without an oil change (Please keep buying Toyotas). Long story short, he needed a new engine.

Anyway, on the drive to the dealership to pick his car up, we were talking about work, drinking, the usual stuff a co-op and his supervisor talk about. Here's the dialogue, see if you spot anything unusual:
Supervisor: Yeah, you should come over to my bar this weekend, we'll have a good time.
Me: Yeah, definitely, we've been meaning to for a while now.
Supervisor: Mmm, yeah.(30 seconds of silence)
Me: So what's going on with the fuel tank installation?
Supervisor:Yeah, I ain't sure, it's, it's.................................
(I look over to him)
The man fell asleep midsentence. So while I'm in disbelief, wondering how he could have done that, he shakes a little bit (usually involuntary) and wakes up. And he changes the topic! I spent the rest of the ride just in complete awe. What a piece of work.

5 Comments:

  • At 5/25/2006 04:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i got an summer internship. except i don't get paid...and they don't make me work as hard as toyota.

     
  • At 5/26/2006 03:15:00 PM, Blogger JRumao said…

    well congrats on your internship. and don't be fooled by how busy i sound, i'm really not.

    And no pay? What are you, a journalism major? (Sorry Josh)

     
  • At 5/27/2006 11:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (Please keep buying Toyotas)

    WTF is this Anti-American attitude? You need to get your brain on straight. If you want your kids to grow up speaking English and being FREE then buy AMERICAN!

    /Brian

     
  • At 5/30/2006 08:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No journalism for me. just an intern for a non profit organization.

     
  • At 5/30/2006 10:25:00 PM, Blogger JRumao said…

    Brian - my kids will still speak English and be plenty FREE. Toyota is a very American company, and you'd see that in the 7,000 very American employees at the plant. You're turning into a Republican, knock it off.

    Anonymous- That's very honorable, you're still doing some good in the world. Unless this non profit org kills kittens and other equally cuddly things. Then that's just classless.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home